Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be used among MSM to meet up with partners that are sexual. Increased use of smart phones combined with the typical utilization of apps to locate intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to examine the relationships between app usage and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% used apps. People who utilized apps reported their most frequently utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) accompanied by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 apps that are different invested on average 2.1 hours from the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Also, over one fourth of individuals had been unaware of the HIV status of these partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of understanding of partners’ HIV status warrant research of sexual risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize
Intimate risk among application making use of MSM was examined making use of a test of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The research addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app usage and investigated the connection between these facets and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever alcohol that is using51.1%) when making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals were prone to participate in both insertive and receptive condomless intercourse whenever apps had been getting used when working with any medications or when utilizing apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Combating HIV through App Utilize
Apps have indicated their usefulness that is potential among and medical care providers trying to reduce the chance of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 MSM that is app-using in, 63.9% reported willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention, and specifically apps http://prettybrides.net/mexican-brides/ to serve as reminders for HIV evaluating. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention had been higher those types of reporting current binge consuming and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to supply HIV-related interventions 8 and have the prospective to be utilized for other health that is MSM substance usage, intimate partner physical physical violence, and intimate danger using. App-based health that is sexual focusing on MSM must certanly be developed, given MSM’s willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Utilize Will Continue To Boost in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health problems for homosexual and bisexual guys: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness training and prevention. United states Journal of Men’s wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage patterns of homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess sex with guys: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV illness by men that have sex with males through geosocial phone that is networking. Journal for the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males who possess intercourse with males: A multi-city cross-sectional study in the southern united states of america. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males that have intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Intimate Health. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cellular phone apps for HIV prevention among males that have intercourse with guys in London: Web-based survey. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social media marketing Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org
This work had been sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The middle for Drug Use and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general public health conditions associated with HIV, hepatitis C, and medication use.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor nyc , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL